Monday, September 7, 2009


Hello everyone! My name is Jamie Sweat. I was born in raised in San Diego, CA. I lived in Tierrasanta until the fourth grade. I then moved to Poway, and went to Morning Creek Elementary for the fifth grade. I started horseback riding when we moved to Poway, and I soon became very involved in the horse community. I attended Meadowbrook Middle School from 6th to 8th grade. Middle school was not that great of an experience for me, but I don’t think it is for very many people. I moved onto high school, going to Rancho Bernardo High. I was very active in track and field. I pole vaulted, and ran the 100, 4x100 and 4x400. Half way through sophomore year I transferred to Poway High School, and finished my remaining high school memories there. When I was fifteen I started working at a non-profit horseback riding lesson program for disabled and problematic children. I absolutely loved this job. It was so satisfying to see how much you can make a difference in a child’s life. This is when I knew I wanted to become a teacher. Right out of high school, I attended SDSU with a major in Liberal Studies and an emphasis in Math. My freshman year I joined a sorority and became very involved in the Greek life at SDSU. This year, I also started my own horseback riding lesson and training program in Poway.
My experiences with technology are very minimal. I actually hate working with computers because I get so frustrated!!! I do not currently use Microsoft office. I am very dependent on the internet and my email. I currently have a PC, but I would like to get a MAC for my next computer.
The mission statement of the CSUSM/COE was a factor in my decision to apply to be a distinguished teacher in residence. I believe it is very important to have equity within a classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie,

    I think it's great that you have worked with handicapped children and problematic children. I feel that a lot of the time they are forgotten about, and they shouldn't be so I applaude you for working with them.
    And I am so jealous that you have grown up in San Diego. I love San Diego and the surrounding areas, it is definately somewhere I would come back and live, so hopefully I can!
    Don't worry about working with computers, they aren't that bad and after this class you will be a pro and you will never be frustrated again! (Hopefully!!)
    Louise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you give horseback riding lessons. That seems like it would be very rewarding and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Jamie.
    I live in a development in Poway just south of Pomerado Hospital. My two daughters went to Painted Rock Elementary, then RB Middle School and both graduated from RB High. They both did some horseback riding while in elementary school and loved it. They learned to lunge the horse before riding, and to take care of the horses (including mucking the coral).
    One of my daughters is a graduate student in Pharmacology and the other is a senior at UCSD in Art History. I doubt if you were at RB High at the same time, but next week I'll check with you about your attendance dates.
    Have you done any riding along the beach? I've always thought that would be wonderful!
    Nice meeting you on your blog.
    Have a great week!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Jamie! You are so funny, I truly believe you when you say you HATE computers. I see it in your eyes everyday in class. Don't worry, as Jeff said, "you will become one with the MAC soon". I love love love what you do with the horseback riding also. I would have never known you were into that if you never mentioned it. Good luck with your horseback riding sessions!

    ReplyDelete